Long Sutton village, Somerset
The Parish of Long Sutton is situated in the heart of Somerset, bordered to the south by the Levels and the River Yeo and to the north by rolling hills and woods. Access by road, rail, air and ferry from the Continent is excellent.
Long Sutton is a village and civil parish in Somerset, situated 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Somerton in the South Somerset district. The village had a population of 862 in 2002. The village of Long Sutton has a village green with a lime tree at each corner and a chestnut tree in the centre. The Devonshire Arms Hotel is at one end of the green and at the other are the school and Holy Trinity church, dating from 1490. The village is made up of two hamlets, Knole at one end and Upton at the other.
The Reading to Taunton line railway runs under the bridge at Upton and at one time certain trains stopped at Long Sutton and Pitney Halt, as it was called until its closure in the early 1960s. The bridge over the River Yeo is medieval in origin, but was probably reshaped in the 18th century. Knole, hidden between hills, is smaller and more snug and has many lovely cottages.
Long Sutton is an excellent centre for walking, cycling, fishing and golf (there is an 18 hole course within walking distance from the hotel on the Green) and to relax and enjoy the ambience of the countryside. Facilities include a good shop and post office, two pubs/ hotels and an excellent primary school. Within a few miles of the Parish there are many very good hotels and restaurants and a wide variety of tourist attractions.
Stay at a nearby Holiday Park and keep the kids amused all day! Parks in the vicinity include those at:
Plenty of hotels are available locally. Consider those in the local towns: